This year’s Institute of Fisheries Management (IFM) specialist conference will be focused on the management of estuarine and coastal waters in the UK and beyond. It will be hosted by the Institutes Estuarine and Marine Specialist Section at Lancaster University on 23-24 May.
The marine environment, its management, and conservation has taken centre stage over the past year, thanks to programmes such as The Blue Planet and the public outcry over the amount of plastic and other waste in our seas.
We have seen the designation of more Marine Protected Areas as well as the production of the UK Governments 25 Year Plan, all aimed at creating a cleaner and fully functioning environment in both the marine and terrestrial context.
The conference will bring together speakers from across the UK, Ireland and Europe to discuss a range of key topics relating to the management of marine waters from the estuary into the sea.
The organising committee would welcome submissions from people working in the following fields:
- Sustainable management of estuarine fish communities; exploitation, mariculture, infrastructure and development
- Data collection and utilisation
- Governance, Regulation and Education
- Innovations in enforcement in inshore fisheries
- Managing fisheries in marine protected areas – from a feature led approach to a whole site approach?
- Achieving benefits for recreational participants in inshore fisheries
- Transboundary issues; connectivity between freshwater and marine, or between the terrestrial and the aquatic.
- Ecosystem Based Fisheries Management
- Natural Capital and fish
- The importance of estuarine ecosystems for fish populations
All abstracts should include the following information in this order:
- Title of the paper,
- Authors’ full names with presenter’s name highlighted,
- Affiliation and country of origin for each co-author,
- Full address of the presenting author,
- Email address of the presenting author,
- 100 – 200 word abstract on the paper’s content,
- Oral or poster presentation
The Steering Group will review all submissions and will aim to ensure a good balance of topics and geographic areas. If requests for oral presentations are oversubscribed a poster presentation may be offered instead.
All submissions and enquiries should be sent directly to the conference administrator at email@example.com by 16 March 2018